Trans Am Modifications
Updated: September 17 2017
Initial problems and issues I hope to resolve with this rebuild:
- 383 stroker engine uses too much oil.
- Small oil leak that no one could find.
- Engine vibration beginning at 3000 RPM and worsening to 6000 RPM.
- Endless issues with the Borla headers and Y-pipe.
- Left O2 sensor requires a harness extender.
- Sparkplug wires currently require routing over the valve covers to avoid being burned on the headers.
- Only the right motor mount is Poly... I couldn't change the left one.
What I changed:
- Switch from Borla to MAC headers(Jet-Hot coated).
- Switch from Total Seal Gapless® second rings to Gapless® top rings
- Switch from standard header flange bolts to Stage-8 bolts
- Went back to routing the sparkplug wires in the stock(factory) location
- After 1500 miles, engine STILL uses oil !!!!!
- Oil leak stopped! I believe this was comming from the water pump drive seal.
- Engine vibration stopped.
- No more leaking exhaust flanges. Thanks to Mac Headers.
Some things never change...
- Don't trust that the parts/services you recieve will be correct for your application. If they ARE correct, they may not work as you had hoped!
- Measure EVERYTHING-- TWICE!!!!!
- Nothing is sacred... EVERYONE is capable of errors, oversights, omissions and/or conflicting opinions.